Monday 20 February 2012

My Musical Life

What a boring title. Come on Haze, sort it out! Interest your readers!

Then again, this is an honesty blog, right? Where I'm totally open, blunt and straightforward? So stuff it! I'll title it as I wish, and continue as I mean to.

Go on, I hear you plead!

It is coming to my attention more and more that our generation is one that focuses on musical judgement, taste and the ways in which we individually use music in different ways. I, for one, am horrendously guilty of judging 'popular' music and using it for 'background' music, much to my utter disappointment and I even shudder at the thought that I don't ENJOY a vast majority of music for what it is. I can be that terrible cynic of the latest club anthem because it's thumpy and generic and generally irritating to hear every other hour of the day. But I can often stop and appreciate its value as a place in musical history or development. It's still probably a load of codswallop in the grand scheme of things though. Still, if someone were to ask me what my favourite band was, I'd probably answer with the lamest of retorts: "I'm not really sure...probably The Feeling... or McFly" and be met with a backlash of judgement, terror and animosity. I used to be one of those cretins who used to say "ohh I like ALL MUSIC" which just makes me a feel a little bit ill looking back. I once heard someone say (it was probably on New Girl actually) that to say you love everything is to truly not love anything at all. If this is the case, then my favourite genre of music is most definitely Classical. Before I register that you have all officially switched off, changed tab or browser and have dismissed this rather opinion-laden ramble, please hear me out. To give a true reading of this blog some justice, tune in to 100-102 fm on a radio, if you can, and leave it on for as long as it may take you to read and digest this blog. Maybe get a cup of tea and a biscuit, I can feel it might be a long one. Make it a custard cream if you can. Oh and if it's the news bit or an advert break, just get back on with whatever you were distracted by before you stumbled across or clicked on this. Then come back!! (Please)

Thanks for that by the way, if you're genuinely reading this out of curiosity. Back on with the point of the blog!

This weekend I went home to sing for a rehearsal weekend with my Choir, (link to our fabby website which is super-swish and you can spot me in the pictures and that) who are exceptional in many ways. Firstly, I feel extremely lucky and privileged to even have been considered to be a part of such a wonderful project. Some of you might know that I've been a keen (it's all about enthusiasm... right?) singer from an early age, but by no means a 'proper' one- and certainly not a distinguished or even qualified one. Encouraged by instrumental lessons from the age of nine, music became a crucial interest for me and it's fair to say that the vast majority of my friends throughout school, and even now, are from ensembles and departments that exalted the virtues of musical involvement.
So, a vague re-cap of my 'musical life' as I like to call it, might lead me to begin with a list. Now, I love a good list. Here we go:

9 years old; started Clarinet lessons and sang in the junior school 'choir' as part of the Millennium opening of the Gala Theatre in Durham
11 years old; Secondary school education began. Joined 'girls choir/junior choir' in the second week of Year 7. NEVER. LOOKED. BACK. Our school's music department was notoriously known for digging its claws in and never letting you go. Still, I have no regrets about this.
12/13 years old: Took part in the school's production of Annie Jr. and was one of the principle orphans. Got to know one of my best friends in this production as she was Annie and I love her dearly.

Lets leave the ages alone and talk in more general terms, shall we?

Throughout secondary school I was involved in musical trips, ensembles and lessons which just kept proving to me that I enjoyed the involvement that music brought to myself as an individual and I was always encouraged to keep this up. I began playing the piano and thoroughly enjoyed learning how pieces of music themselves are pieced together and how "moments" occur. More on this later! Continuing with playing the clarinet, I joined the District Wind Band, progressed to Regional level and finished up at County Wind Band by Sixth Form time. I also joined a county-wide Clarinet choir called "Clarinetix" and I played one of two bass clarinets as part of that. As always, school music-department involvement continued and I joined the Senior Choir and the Chamber choir, performing at the Sage Gateshead as part of the Catholic Partnership concerts and being in my absolute element, thrice. Marvellous.

Most recently, I joined the Durham County Youth Choir in September 2010 because a few of my friends said it was great and I thought I'd give it a go after seeing them at the joint Sage concert for the Durham Music Service Showcase in the summer of the same year. I do not regret auditioning for DCYC one jot. It was one of the best things I was ever pressured into doing. Unbeknownst to me, a few of the people from DCYC had been selected to go down to London and begin a new choir, to soon work as part of the Gabrielli Young Singers Scheme with Paul McCreesh. In December, Hilary (the conductor of DCYC) invited me to go along with the oldest members of the choir to a new choir that was forming, and it was mind-blowing. It was almost certainly terrifying but thrilling all the same to be thrown in at the deep end, sight-reading Britten's "Rejoice in the Lamb" and three choruses from Handel's "Solomon". Still, I had been put forward to be in this choir because I had been identified as a quick sight-reader/singer and this certainly proved it. Prior to this rehearsal weekend, after being in DCYC for two weeks, I was asked to sight-sing a concert and managed remarkably well to do it. Phew! After a weekend of rehearsal with this new choir, we performed the pieces, I lost a cardigan (let's not go there, it's still a sore point, ok?) and made friends I would come to absolutely adore and cherish for many moments to come.

Here began my journey with John Forsyth and the North East Youth Chorale.

As previously mentioned, I had performed at the Sage with the Hexham and Newcastle Catholic Partnership scheme with school and this is where I first encountered John. I doubt he remembers me personally, but I will always remember him from that. He knows me by name now though ;) We sang the first movement of John Rutter's "Magnificat" and he sat at the front on his legendary, squeaky stool, in our school hall in front of numerous, terrified pupils who were mainly forced to be part of the choir and he belted out every part in his classic way, scaring us all a little bit. Needless to say, the performance was awesome and I love that piece very dearly as a result of that experience.

Life suddenly took a turn towards the extraordinary after I joined NEYC. If you want a less condensed version of the summer just passed's events than the one I'm going to give here (including non-musical activities) I'm going to refer you to THIS BLOG POST RIGHT HERE, which you can read at your leisure.

Summer happened like this: I SANG AT THE ROYAL ALBERT HALL AND RECORDED A CD WITH MY CHOIR AND LOADS OF OTHER, PROFESSIONAL CHOIRS AND SINGERS.

IT WAS AWESOME.

The social side of it was fabulous, as was the insight into the hard graft and sheer workload that being in that side of the industry requires. Nonetheless, it was amazing.

So, back to my current state of affairs, yes?
This weekend, John really struck a chord in me (hahaha music pun, waahoo) when he was talking about living for moments. I live each day for moments, but musical moments are just somehow, supremely more precious. How often do you listen to the average, indie, metal or pop song and think "WOW!"? Seriously, do you ever? I'm not going to lie to you and tell you that I do that, probably at all. There have been times, of course, when I've thought "this song is pretty epic, cool, niiiiice riff" or other rather vacuous things. For me, there is nothing quite like listening to a cheeky suspension or augmented fifth or something equally as nerdy in a Whitare or Brahms piece that literally makes every fibre of your being just FEEL. I'm not quite sure what or how it makes me feel, but it definitely puts me in my place. The vast majority of the music we sing with NEYC revolves around classical, choral works which usually involve Masses, Requiems or songs which exalt and glorify God and sing His praises. That in itself excites me greatly in a general sense, but when the music itself is just so exquisitely enjoyable and brilliant, it makes me beam from ear to ear to praise God to such beautiful music, and sung excellently might I add. Some of our choir are relatively agnostic or atheists, but they all partake in singing and are convincing in all manners when they sing the pieces, which I find incredibly interesting and a little bit baffling all the same. When I experience a "moment" in the music we sing, or even just when listening to Classic FM (which excites me greatly, because I'm such a nerd I recognise a great deal of 'things'- motifs, pieces I've played and even composers- and revel in that sometimes) I can't help but feel extremely small but somehow worthy. It's difficult to explain I suppose, but at the end of the day, I love it.
You should too.
Just a recommendation.
Give it some thought.

Tatty bye,
Haze

1 comment: